Introduction to Leg Bag Use
Urinary drainage bags should be cleaned after each use. It is important to clean the bags properly to prevent germs from causing infections.
The bags (Foley Bags and Leg Bags) should be changed at least every month, but more often if needed.
Cleaning the Leg Bag
- Mix 1 tablespoon of bleach and 1/2 cup of water in a cup.
- Swish it around (to mix) and then pour it into a squeeze container/bottle.
- Empty all of the urine from the bag.
- Rinse bag with water for 10 seconds. Empty water into the toilet.
- Pour/squeeze about 2 tablespoons of the premixed bleach solution into the bag.
- Squeeze bag and allow bleach to get on all sides of the bag.
- Swish it around inside the bag for at least 30 seconds.
- Discard solution into the toilet
- Place bag on a clean paper towel
- Leave any clamps bag open until the next time the bag is used
If you have a drainage cup, clean it as well.
- Use the same premixed bleach solution.
- Swish it around for at least 30 seconds and pour out.
- Pour extra bleach and water mixture out into the toilet.
- The bag, cup or urinal can be used for 1 month.
- Wash hands