Life After Stroke
Returning home after a stroke can be very scary. Your medical and rehabilitation team will help you prepare. They will provide you with specific instructions based on your needs. The following is general information about life after a stroke:
- About 40 percent of stroke survivors will have a serious fall within the first year of their stroke.
- It is important to keep the environment safe to avoid accidents and injuries.
- It is important that you are able to move easily around your house and environment.
- You may need to modify your home. It may be as simple as moving furniture or more complicated like installing a ramp.
- Your rehabilitation team will help to assess your home environment to determine what modifications will help you move around your house safely.
- It is important for you to be as independent as possible.
- You may need special equipment to help you with activities like bathing and dressing. Some examples are grab bars or transfer benches.
- Your rehabilitation team will provide you with a list of equipment that will help maximize your independence at home.
HOME MODIFICATION RESOURCES